How much to buy
Each full-size ice cream uses around 200ml of regular vanilla ice cream, and around 40g of berries. We recommend buying ice cream from your local supermarket in 5L boxes, and frozen berries in 500g or 1kg bags. Commercial food suppliers (Gilmours, Moore Wilsons, BidFood etc) can sometimes supply these products cheaper for bulk purchases.
|Number of ice creams||Quantity of ice cream (litres)||Quantity of berries (kilograms)|
Almost any flavour of ice cream can be made with Our Little Beast. What limits you is your imagination.
Suggested fruits you could use are: raspberry, boysenberry, blackcurrant, blackberry, blueberry, strawberry, kiwifruit, passionfruit, cherries, banana, peach, nectarine, apricot, Black Doris plum.
You could also try:
- Chocolate – we suggest using hazelnut spread (e.g. Nutella) as it mixes easily. Grated milk chocolate also works well.
- Peanut butter – makes an amazing ice cream! Just add a dollop before mixing. Also add chocolate to make a ‘Snickers’ ice cream.
- Cookies and cream – just add crushed up Oreo biscuits.
- Caramel – use caramel sauce or dulce de leche, with optional caramel sprinkles on top.
- Walnut and Maple ice cream, our tried and tested formula is 20 grams of maple syrup and 10 grams of finely crushed walnuts.
- Rum and Raisin ice cream – we suggest soaking 40g of raisins in rum overnight.
- Mint chocolate chip ice cream – add one or two chilled after dinner mints before mixing. Works better if they’re chopped.
- For an over 18 ice cream, try adding 10ml of Kahlua or Baileys, frozen into cubes with a little milk, to your vanilla ice cream.
- For children you can add sprinkles, chocolate flakes or sherbet.
There is a range of ice cream cones on the market – cones, waffle cones, waffle bowls, or compostable/recyclable cups. We suggest you buy cones with the widest opening you can find as this will make it easier to balance the ice cream on the cone.
Serviettes are very useful for handing out ice creams without touching every single ice cream cone.
You should have clean, warm water and cleaning supplies on hand when using the machine as it can get a bit sticky with droplets of ice cream.